- Carpets need to be vacuumed at least once a week and more often in areas of heavy traffic. Every few weeks, take a little extra time and use your crevice tool for carpet cleaning around baseboards and radiators and in other hard-to-reach places.
- To vacuum wall-to-wall carpeting, divide the floor into quadrants and vacuum an entire quadrant before moving on to the next.
- Take your time when you vacuum a carpet, especially a plush carpet in which dirt is sure to be deeply embedded. One pass with a high-powered upright is not enough. Go over each section of carpeting several times, and work slowly to allow the suction to remove all the ground-in dust and dirt.
- Pay special attention to the areas where people sit and move their feet. Vacuum these areas of heavy traffic with a crisscross pattern of overlapping strokes.
- Apply stain protectors with professional equipment only. Add baking soda to your vacuum bag to fight odors.
You really cannot imagine all the dirt and grime that can come out of your carpet if it’s not properly maintained by regular carpet cleaning. This is what the truckmount cleaned out of a carpet in just one room of a house, with just normal daily traffic activity. Regular carpet cleaning and maintenance is important to not only prolonging the life of your carpet, but also to your own health.